Causes of World War I and the Ukraine Connection
This post may contain an affiliate link. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. All affliiate links are marked with an asterisk (*).
We kicked off our study of World War I last week. Here are the learning targets.
- I can describe the causes and effects of WWI and why the United States became involved.
- I can explain modern war technology.
The acronym M.A.I.N. is introduced, which stands for Militarism, Alliances, Imperialism, and Nationalism.
Students have made quite a few connections between these causes and what is currently happening with Russia and Ukraine. This has led to a nice discussion about lessons we could possibly learn from WWI that might ease the tensions that are developing today.
Here are a few resources connected to WWI causes and the Ukraine / Russia conflict.
- WWI teaching lesson plans and primary sources.
- World War I C-Span Classroom Lesson Plans
- How the Ukraine Crisis Developed, and Where is Might Be Headed
- Why Americans Should Care About the Ukraine-Russia Conflict
- Book: Ukraine and Russia: From Civilized Divorce to Uncivil War*
If you haven't subscribed sign up below. Let's connect on Twitter. Send a tweet to @jeremyajorg. Leave a comment, just say "Hi".