The NASA DART project sparked some good conversation in science classes today along with some good questions. Here are some of the resources I used and a few more I found while satisfying my own curiosity.
An event like this goes a long way in showing students the relevance that math and science have in the world. The skills and intellect needed to test this potential planet-saving idea are mind-boggling.
- DART in the News
- NASA's DART asteroid smashing mission: The ultimate guide
- NASA's DART Spacecraft Smashes Into an Asteroid - on Purpose
Questions Students Asked
- Should we be spending so much money testing these sorts of things in space?
- I wonder what inventions have come as a result of space travel?
The second question sent me down a rabbit hole looking for inventions. It turns out they're called spin-offs. This would be an interesting topic to study with students.
- Spinoffs are technologies that benefit life on earth in the form of commercial products.
- Here are some inventions we use every day.