As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
Using Humor in the Classroom
July 1st is International Joke Day. Students get stressed. Teachers get stressed. Sometimes humor is just the right thing to ease tension.
I have a teaching friend who is great at using humor in the classroom. Each year on April Fools Day he gives his students a word search and a word bank. The thing is, none of the words in the word bank are in the puzzle. He watches as his students diligently look for the words and smiles, waiting an awkward amount of time until he lets them in on the joke 😆.
I have the same silly jokes I tell every year. Humor breaks things up and often elicits some great 8th grader eye rolls.
Here are some teaching and learning resources for using humor in the classroom.
- Using Humor in the Classroom - Here are some strategies.
- Engaging Students With Humor - Laughter is a great way to break the tension in the classroom.
- How to Effectively Use Humor in the Classroom - Be yourself and don't try too hard.
- How to Use Humor to Teach: 4 Tips for Using Humor to Educate
- How Teachers Can Bring Humor Into The Classroom - My favorite tip in this article is to "go weird".
- If They're Laughing, They Just Might Be Listening*: Ideas for Using Humor Effectively in the Classroom - Even If You're Not Funny Yourself
- The Laughing Classroom*: Everyone's Guide to Teaching with Humor and Play
- The Ultimate Joke Book for Teachers*: 300 Funny Gags and Puns for Educators