Sphero Battle Bots Stem Challenge
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
I save this challenge until the end of the school year. It’s an engaging STEM activity that provides some friendly competition. This activity can be used to review almost every physical science concept that our 8th graders study. I have a group of students who do not need any intervention and this challenge gives them a break from study halls.
Sphero Battle Bots: One Bot to Rule Them All
In this STEM activity, students create a Sphero Battle Bot. The Sphero is the engine that drives the Battle Bot. Here are the directions, and the supplies that are needed to build the Battle Bots, and run the battle.
Here's a clip of some Sphero Battle Bot Action
- 3 Push Pins
- 3 Bamboo Skewers
- 1 Solo Cup
- 5 Straws
- Unlimited Cardboard
- 1 Paper Plate
- Duct Tape
- Hot Glue
- 6 Toothpicks
- Tin Foil
- Milk Caps
- Toilet Paper / Paper Towel Tubes
- Jar Lids
- 1 Balloon per team
- Sphero Robots*
- Devices to run the Spheros (ChromeBook, iPad, Samsung Tablet, or Phone with the Sphero Edu App Installed)
- You may have no more than three team members
- You may only use approved materials from the list
- All balloons must be taped to the back of the Battle Bot and uncovered
Rules of Engagement
- Students must control their Battle Bot from outside the arena. The arena can be made from pool noodles or tables tipped on their sides.
- The goal is to pop the other team's balloon before their own balloon is popped.
- The last team with an intact balloon remaining is the winner.
- Students may only enter the arena with permission.
If you're looking for other great STEM resources, ideas, and supplies check out Eduporium. You'll find a wealth of resources.