As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
Hello Friends and T.G.I.F. 😁 First off, thank you for subscribing to this letter. We’ve made it to Friday once again. If you are a teacher, "Happy Teacher Appreciation Week!" in advance. You're wonderful. What you do matters! Thank You for showing up each day in spite of daunting challenges.
Here are some things I thought were worth sharing this week.
Here are some articles that grabbed my attention.
- How can reevaluating school discipline help create a more inclusive culture?
- Students have different thinking speeds. This podcast explores how being mindful of these different speeds can help teachers be more inclusive.
- There is a national teacher shortage. Almost every state has a “Grow Your Own” program. The goal is to help develop teachers locally, meaning that teacher demographics are more likely to mirror student demographics.
- This video has been around for a few years, but it was new to me. It’s about Finland schools and how they outperform most others across the world.
- This School District Principal decides to say it like it is.
- What can you do to help a teacher feel appreciated?
Personal Development and Wellness Resources
- Learn how 15 minutes of mental hygiene can impact your entire day. Lowering your cortisol levels can improve your well-being later in life.
- The weather is warming up. It’s time to take a bath in the forest. This explains why it feels so good to take a walk in the woods.
- Teachers are swamped this time of year. We realize that there is still so much left to do in such little time. Here is some advice from a neuroscientist on how to get more done in less time.
Here is a quote I’ve been revisiting this week:
“If anyone tells you that such a person speaks ill of you, don’t make excuses about what is said of you, but answer: “He does not know my other faults, else he would not have only mentioned these.” - The Enchiridion*, Epictetus
- 📚 Books - Check out this list of 31 books for students, chosen by students.
- 📰 Article - Forces and Motion: Model Rocket Challenge and Newton’s Laws Investigation. It’s that time of year again. The launch date is approaching.
- 👟 Clothes- Brooks Adrenaline GTS 22*. I started to do some running/walking again in an attempt to keep up with my daughter. These shoes offer good support and just the right amount of cushion. Oh, I have some work to do.
- 🙃 State Testing is Done - This was a long week for my 8th graders. Every year I think, “There has to be a better way.”
- 🐦 This Tweet: It just fits the vibe for this time of year. There are some interesting responses in the thread.
P.S. Recommendation: Fabulous*. Born at Duke University, Fabulous uses behavioral science to help people make smart changes and build healthy habits. Build self-discipline and create positive structures in your daily life. After answering a series of questions Fabulous will build a plan just for you. Start building new habits with Fabulous* today.