As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
Hello Friends and T.G.I.F. 😁 Here are some things I thought were worth sharing this week.
Here are some articles that grabbed my attention.
- Although this article is geared toward new teachers, it offers some good advice. A few tips include establishing a work-life balance early on in your career and embracing challenging positions earlier rather than later. It's also important to let go of perfection.
- Here are some tips for setting the tone for a new school year. My favorite line from the article is, "In conversation after conversation, though many educators said they embraced the return of in-person learning in 2021, they also reflected that this past school year was like waking up the day after an accident". A theme for this year has to be supporting teachers in personalized ways.
- Drawing something helps a person remember it. A new study confirms that drawing improves memory. Read more about this research here.
- Here's an interesting Twitter thread about student teaching. Students should be spending more time working with young people. Being a camp counselor set me up for success as a teacher, and they paid me.
Personal Development and Wellness Resources
- Ten Tips for Self Improvement - This was the first time I heard of the WOOP technique for setting goals - Wish, Outcome, Obstacle, and Plan.
- How can timeboxing help with time management?
- Wearable activity trackers encourage us to walk up to 40 minutes more each day. This could add up to a 1kg weight loss over five months.
Here is a quote I’ve been revisiting this week:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
― H. Jackson Brown Jr., P.S. I Love You
- 👪 PDF Time - I stumbled upon this acronym while participating in the #ElMagChat last week on Twitter. It stands for Playtime, Downtime, and Family Time. Thank you to @chalsuccess for sharing it. The question was, "What's one action you'll commit to taking this fall to prioritize your own well-being?". I thought PDF time was a great answer.
- 🥾 Hiking Boots - Keen Men's Targhee II Waterproof Hiking Boot* - I just ordered these as an upgrade for an upcoming hiking adventure in the Porcupine Mountains. I had the low-top version of these boots and loved them.
- 🔥 Gadgets - Here are some of my gadget and gift picks for the summer. It includes items that contribute to relaxation and reflection.
- 👫 Humans - I hope we make it for many more years on this beautiful planet Earth. Here are four existential threats that could get in the way of that.
P.S. Recommendation: Fabulous. Born at Duke University, Fabulous uses behavioral science to help people make smart changes and build healthy habits. It's helped me build a solid morning routine. Build self-discipline and create positive structures in your daily life. After answering a series of questions Fabulous will build a plan just for you. Start building new habits with Fabulous today.