As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
Three Ideas to Help Teachers Overcome the Educational Challenges Created by the Covid Pandemic
Anyone who works with young people can tell you that the pandemic has had an impact. Students are absent more often and many are struggling to keep up with their work. I think as time goes by we'll learn that the impact of this pandemic was greater than we initially anticipated.
Here are a few ideas/resources I've found that may help educators address these challenges.
Scientific Research Can Lead the Way
- Using research to guide educational decision-making may provide new and effective approaches to overcoming pandemic-created challenges.
- Research shows that one of the best ways to help students make up lost ground is through tutoring.
- Some of the most effective strategies include providing meaningful feedback and coaching students to be metacognitive (thinking about their own thinking and learning).
Strategies for Educators to Thrive in Post-Pandemic Teaching**
- It’s quite possible that things will never be the same in education again. It’s really looking that why in my school district at the moment.
- Build systems within the school day that put Maslow before Bloom. I think the return on this investment would be money and time well spent.
- Incorporate case-based learning studies to boost student engagement.
- Use evidence to make educational decisions.
- Bring more adults into the school building to support students.
- Collect more data regarding student development in areas that aren’t necessarily tied to grades and test scores.
- Institute IEPs for all students. The word "personalization" keeps popping up in the educational articles I’ve been reading. Perhaps this pandemic will bring home the notion that there can no longer be a “One Sized Fits All” educational model.
📚 Book Suggestion: After The Mask: A Guide to Caring for Students and Schools* - This book explores how schools might address the mental and emotional challenges that have been amplified by the pandemic.