Goal Update October 2022
Here are the results or lack thereof from October 2022.
Wellness / Happiness
Complete at least 720 minutes of exercise or higher per month.
- For October I logged 1,209 minutes of exercise - 12 bike rides, 12 walks, 4 weight training sessions, and 2 run/walks.
4 full-body strength training sessions per month.
- Done. I've also started doing short sessions after school in the workout room.
4 yoga sessions per month.
- Nothing to report here. I'm having a hard time fitting this one in.
Log at least 120 mindful minutes each month. This can be a combination of Apple Fitness + meditations, Journaling (DayOne), and the Calm app.
- Complete. I've written regularly in my journal and meditated using Holosync. I also switched over to Headspace since they offer a free subscription to educators.
Move closer to a Mediterranean style of eating.
- I'm on a roll with this one. I've been eating a more plant-based diet along with tuna and salmon. I'm down about ten pounds for the month of October.
Complete at least 30 journal entries per month using the Dayone app.
- 33 entries for the month of October.
Education / Teaching Career
Record my #TeacherWins at least 4 out of five teaching days (80%)
- This has become part of my daily journal routine.
Write and share at least two Teacher Pep Talks per month.
- This fizzled. I'm retiring this goal and focusing energy elsewhere.
Read at least two education/teaching books this year and write a book summary blog post on each.
- Done. Here is my book summary page.
Share at least four education resource posts per month
Done. Here are some of my posts from this month.
- Hurricane Ian and General Hurricane Teaching and Learning Resources
- Writing Every Day
- Classroom Wordle and Wordle-Like Resources
- Station Rotation and Blended Learning Teacher Tips
- Watch Out for Fake News | How to Teach Students to Identify Quality Sources Through Lateral Reading
- The Obstacle is The Way | Book Summary and Golden Lines
- Harness the Power of Whiteboards in the Classroom - Teacher Tips and Resources
Add at least 12 new resources to my subscriber database.
Read four personal development books per year and write a book summary blog post on each.
I'm halfway there. Here is my book summary page.
Record "Homework for Life" at least five days per week.
- Done. This has become part of my journal routine.
Write at least 12 blog posts sharing what I learned from watching a video or listening to a podcast (Yearly).
- This is a funny goal. Each week I share resources in the newsletter, and I reflect on what I learned. This goal has been met and then some.
Family and Friends
Connect with my close family at least once per week.
Connect with a friend at least once per week - lunch, phone, exercise, pub, etc.
- Not this month.
Dreams, Retirement, and Money Stuff
Learn about Twitter and be useful in that space. Follow five interesting people and grow my following by five people. This is the only goal I am not in complete control of. We'll see what happens.
- Done. I appreciate Twitter for the infinite resources and have settled into a consuming and posting flow. I've grown by a few followers, but have let go of that part of the goal. Here is my profile page.
Take a picture of each house I paint and post it to Instagram and Twitter. Invest at least three hundred dollars of painting income (Summertime Painting Goal) into my Robinhood account.
- I blew this one. I've entered information on the paint jobs we've completed in my journal minus the photos. I'm retiring this goal.
Publish at least two newsletters per month
- Done. I haven't missed a week since I started this site. Here are the archives. The streak is still alive.
Create at least two YouTube videos per month - step out of your comfort zone
- I published one video and one short. Each of them is connected to my newsletter.
Learn more about cryptocurrency. Document my progress.
- Not much progress with this goal in October.
Purchase a camper and take at least three family vacations.
- This goal is on hold. I hope it will happen in the future. I am grateful to have kids that want to be involved in sports and other activities. I'm not sure when we would have enough time to get our money's worth at the moment.
Reflect on these goals and share once per month.