As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
T.G.I.F. Newsletter - Student-Driven, Finishing, and Meditation
Hello Friends and T.G.I.F. 😁 Here are some things I thought were worth sharing this week.
I once heard someone compare a teacher's summer vacation to a weekend. Friday night is June, Saturday is July, and August is one long Sunday. Enjoy this long summer Saturday, as Sunday is just around the corner.
Here are some articles that grabbed my attention.
- Explore how to create a classroom that is student, not teacher-driven. What are the benefits of lessening classroom micromanagement and encouraging students to collaboratively make meaning of content? Letting go of some control can often have pretty amazing results.
- Here are 23 on-demand webinars from the New York Times to jumpstart summertime professional development. The two that interest me the most are centered around student podcasting and argumentative writing.
- Although this article applies to college teaching, there are parts that connect with teachers at most levels. Once you get past the fear of asking for feedback, student surveys and evaluations provide valuable information that teachers can use to improve their practice.
Personal Development and Wellness Resources
- According to this article from Medical Express, "Researchers found that participants who were actively meditating reported a 32 percent reduction in pain intensity and a 33 percent reduction in pain unpleasantness." Mindfulness meditation looks like it is a viable non-drug pain-relieving option.
- Are you really busy, yet it feels like you're not getting very much accomplished? Maybe you should shift your focus to finishing?
- One way to become calmer and at ease with ourselves is to spend time processing our emotions. Here's how to do it.
Here is a quote I’ve been revisiting this week:
"Always believe in yourself and always stretch yourself beyond your limits. Your life is worth a lot more than you think because you are capable of accomplishing more than you know. You have more potential than you think, buy you will never know your full potential unless you keep challenging yourself and pushing beyond your own self imposed limits." - Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart*
- 🎙 Music - I'm going to see Michael Franti in concert this weekend. Here's one of his songs that makes me smile.
- ⛰ Challenge - A good challenge has plenty of upsides.
- 🔥 Gadgets - Here are some of my gadget and gift picks for the summer. It includes items that contribute to relaxation and reflection.
P.S. Recommendation: Fabulous. Born at Duke University, Fabulous uses behavioral science to help people make smart changes and build healthy habits. It's helped me build a solid morning routine. Build self-discipline and create positive structures in your daily life. After answering a series of questions Fabulous will build a plan just for you. Start building new habits with Fabulous today.