As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
T.G.I.F. Teacher Newsletter #49
Hello Friends and T.G.I.F.
I hope you are on winter break and living your best life. You deserve it!
This time of year is a popular time to reflect. If you're interested in trying out a Yearly Review I've prepared a template for you. You'll find the free download at the bottom of this page. Feel free to share with friends and make changes to suit your needs.
Next week's newsletter will consist of some highlights from the past year so I can enter a deeper relaxation mode with my family, but I'm still sending one out. My goal is to hit 52 weeks in a row and I'm on #49.
Thanks for being a part of the Why Edify community, and for what you do for the greater community every day!
Happy Friday - Have a great weekend and Happy Holidays! 😄🎄
Here are some things I thought were worth sharing this week.
Here are some articles that grabbed my attention.
- Student Engagement - Mixing online and face-to-face instruction can increase student engagement. There are four types of blended learning instructional strategies. Of the four listed in this EdTech Digest article, I prefer the Face-to-Face Approach. This is the category that the station rotation model fits under. It does take some extra planning time up front, but the increase in student engagement is worth it.
- Just Breathe - Mindfulness and meditation are being used to try and help the increasing mental health issues related to pandemic trauma, school closures, and school violence. According to the Dalai Lama, “If every 8-year-old in the world is taught meditation, we will eliminate violence from the world within one generation.” I’m not sure I entirely agree, but the overall benefits would be worth it. The growing body of research suggests that when children practice mindfulness there are improvements in attention, depression, anxiety and stress, and other negative behaviors.
- Sage Advice - Great wisdom lies within veteran teachers. Here’s some advice offered to those teachers who are new to the classroom. Wily veteran teachers recommend finding your people, differentiation, staying engaged in professional development, and finding a work-life balance. I would add that having the right mentor can make all of the difference in the world.
- Resource - How will Artificial Intelligence Change the World? Stories about AI, Chat Bots, and the like are increasingly popping up in my news feed. In this video, you’ll explore the current limitations of artificial intelligence and the possibility of creating human-compatible technology. As this technology changes, education will need to change too.
Personal Development and Wellness Resources
- Problems - One certainty in life is that we all encounter our fair share of problems. It makes sense to build habits that help you move past these challenges so you can come out better on the other end. Here are 22 habits that can fix 90% of your problems.
- Introspection - For many, December is a month filled with reflection, and using a journal is a great way to process and capture your thinking. Using a journal can improve your mood, promote happiness and well-being, and more. If you’re unsure where to start, check out this list of 90 journal prompts to spark personal insights.
- Motivation - To feel motivated is a beautiful thing. Staying motivated can be challenging. Be on the lookout for de-motivators such as fear, lack of clarity, loneliness, and burnout. If you’ve lost motivation there are tricks that can help you get it back.
Here is a quote I’ve been revisiting this week:
"We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future." -Steve Maraboli (Unapologetically You: Reflections on Life and the Human Experience*)
- 🎹 Music - Check out this Holiday Music Stream from Folk Alley. New holiday tunes are added to this playlist yearly.
- 🧪 Innovation - This was the year of artificial intelligence, re-animation of sorts, mRNA vaccines, and more. Explore the breakthroughs of 2022.
- 🚿 Shower Thought - People are more positive than you think if you think positively. [source]