As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. All affiliate links are marked with an asterisk (*). Thank You! Read more here.
T.G.I.F. Teacher Newsletter #55
Check out Refind. Every day Refind picks 7 links from around the web for you, tailored to your interests. It has over 50k+ curious users.
Hello Friends and T.G.I.F.
In the classroom this week we compared qualitative and quantitative data and learned about Westward Expansion from multiple perspectives. We also spent time exploring the benefits of having solid Habits of Scholarship both in and out of the classroom. Also, my 8th graders took their first tour of the high school as part of the transition process. This marks the beginning of the busy season.
Teaching is a challenging profession. Thank you for having the courage to teach the truth and for showing up each day to do what the job requires. Tell your colleagues that you appreciate them and do what you can to support each other.
Happy Friday - Have a great weekend😄!
Here are some things I thought were worth sharing this week.
Here are some articles that grabbed my attention.
- Good Teacher - Effective teachers share similar characteristics. They come to class prepared. They find ways to stay positive about teaching and about students. Effective teachers also have a sense of humor and don’t take themselves too seriously. Taking steps to build as many of these qualities can also make teachers happier. What characteristics would you add to this list?
- Effective Learning - Leveraging spacing and retrieval activities along with relearning sessions maximizes retention. Most students rarely use these strategies. Helping students develop routines around their learning sessions that incorporate spacing and retrieval can help set them up for success. Learn more about the science behind spacing and retrieval here.
- Learning on Teams - The ability to work well on a team is a skill that pays lifelong dividends. School is the ideal place for students to learn how to be productive teammates. Creating norms, assigning roles, and using collaboration rubrics help set the foundation for effective collaboration. Each year we take our students on a trip to visit local manufacturers and each year the ability to work on a team sits near the top of the employer’s wish list.
- Resource - Blended Learning Strategies and Resources
- Resource - Black History Month Teaching and Learning Resources - The theme for this year's Black History Month is "Resistance".
- Think Different - We Have to Do Something Different: Teachers in the Journey to Create More Equitable Schools is a film produced by MIT’s Teaching Systems Lab. The film addresses many of the challenges in schools and how teachers across the country are working to overcome them. Click here to request a free screening. https://youtu.be/oaBCuDWZqP8
Personal Development and Wellness Resources
- Motivation - Demotivation can sneak up on you from different angles. This means getting your motivation back might take different approaches. What's holding you back? Is it fear? Did you set the wrong goals? Are you in the middle of a values conflict? Knowing the cause can help you identify the best course of action and help you reclaim your motivation mojo.
- Paradox - When our bodies and minds need to recover the most is when we feel the most helpless to do anything about it. This is called the "recovery paradox". A few tips to recover from work-related stress are to do your best to keep work thoughts at work, schedule small breaks during the day, and use physical activity that requires high effort.
- Success - Every person takes a unique journey on their pathway to success. Begin by identifying your guiding values and then spend some time preparing for your next steps. After that, it's time to build up small victories which create the momentum needed to achieve the big ones. It also helps to find people who can support you along the way. It's a rare person that becomes successful on their own.
Here is a quote I’ve been revisiting this week:
"The future of the world is in my classroom today." -Ivan Welton Fitzwater
- 😀 Fun - Can you find the hidden character? This will bring you back to the days of Where's Waldo. Check out iSpy.
- 🎹 Music - Here are the greatest 200 singers of all time, and yes, Bob Dylan is on the list.
- ⚙ Game - What Do You Meme? Teacher's Edition* - It's a party game for teachers.